Simon Maynard (xxasimont) wrote in lawquestions_au,
Simon Maynard

  • Mood:

? Abandoned goods not at place of residence (Victoria)

Back in April, a young couple moved in with me temporarily as emergency accommodation. At that time they filled the shed and part of the back yard of my daughters small unit in town (I live about 30 minutes away in a tiny town). At no stage have they lived at my daughters house, offered to pay for storage or any such arrangement, they just filled her small storage shed and put the overflow in the back yard 'temporarily'. They moved out of my place 3 months ago with no notice when I asked them to follow some simple rules (regarding keeping the kitchen clean, clearing their cat litter trays regularly and putting waste food in the bin not the fridge). I am still trying to get them to collect the rest of their stuff from here, but that's only a minor problem as I have a large property. My daughters place is a different and more urgent issue, especially as what is in the backyard is hazardous to her 2 small children, and they are using ALL of her storage shed. She needs the storage room urgently. She was told 3 months ago by their support worker that the stuff would be out in a week or two, since then we have been unable to contact the support worker (doesn't return calls) and the girl herself(her partner is now incarcerated but it's not his stuff anyway)only contacts when she's picking up selected bits and pieces from here, gives 'I've been busy' excuses when I ask when it's going to go (she doesn't work). I have sent a message telling her to get her stuff out of my daughters place within 2 weeks or I will help my daughter get legal advice on what to do with abandoned goods (hoping this will make her at least talk to her worker about it and get something happening). What is the position when someone dumps stuff at the house of someone else when they are not living there, and keeps putting off collecting it? What can my daughter do legally?I assume she is not obliged to just leave it there forever. Any suggestions gratefully received. I can't even get advice from the tenants union in Victoria on the situation with the stuff left at my place because to them I'm a landlord, so they refuse to give me any advice. The stuff at my daughters place is outside even a tenant situation as they never lived there. HELP????

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment